Cardiff Crown Court heard how on 17 May 2016, ASL Access Scaffold Limited employee Martin Tilby was fatally electrocuted when the crane he was operating struck an overhead power line while he was unloading materials in a field at Cowbridge, South Glamorgan.
An HSE investigation found that no risk assessment had been carried out in the field where the incident happened, and no control measures were put in place to prevent contact with the overhead powerlines.
ASL Access Scaffold Limited of Bridgend was found guilty of breaching safety regulations was fined £160,000 and ordered to pay costs of £45,000.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Damian Corbett said: “This death was easily preventable, and the risk should have been identified. Employers should make sure they properly assess and apply effective control measures to minimise the risk from striking overhead powerlines.
“This death would have been preventable had an effective system for managing unloading materials been in place.”
Companies House records show ASL Access Scaffold Limited entered a Creditors Voluntary Liquidation in February 2017.